Made possible by an outpouring of donations of money from the community, willing donations of building materials and generous commitments of skills and hard work by tradesmen and labourers, the construction of this memorial was conducted with great fanfare and ceremony.
Saturday, January 29th, 1916 saw an army of 30 men, all armed with saws and axes, who worked all day to clear the block of trees and shrubs in readiness for the building.
The next Saturday, February 5th, 1916, saw an amazing parade comprised of 70 drays all laden with the building materials, building tools and even some of the furnishing for the house wend its way from the centre of Perth out to the block in Kalgoorlie Street, where the memorial was to be constructed.
At 4:30am, on Saturday, February 12th, alerted by the town crier, 200 men assembled at the block and began the task of constructing ANZAC Cottage. By sundown that day the neat little brick and tile Cottage was built.